2009-12-22

Stuck inbetween

I would like to add something brief about Varkala. I arrived smelly and tired to the Arabian Soul where Carolin + husband are staying and I joined them for a porridge breakfast with fruit, with awesome smoothies. Right now I am staying with a wealthy greek man, he likes sailing, and organising parties and business possibilities and making investments and talking about... sailing and money. We get along on a pleasantly surface kind of way. I accidently mentioned the environment to which I regrettably had to listen to a 15 minute tirade on living in the now and how there's no point in one person trying to make any difference.

I've been invited to his grand house in Greece where I can enjoy a week of sailing and decadent shops and restaurants. I will politely decline.

Varkala is beautiful and peaceful. The main area is high up on a cliff, and the beach is at a steep decent of a few minutes. The water is bright turqoise and very pleasant, and the general atmosphere of the place is an orderly chilled out one, not one reeking of alcohol and other similar things one might expect to run into in the more touristy part of India. I am quite at peace, drinking juices and eating fruit and gazing out across the clear ocean.

However, a few small things bother me. Some of the people I have met here have spent months in India, and yet as a large group of us went to have traditional Keralan food yesterday, none but myself and one or two others knew how to eat the food with our hands, or even less so that one is only allowed to use the right hand. None had used a traditional Indian toilet, and most were absolutely bedazzled by the food, which, though very good I'll admit, was pretty much just your average south Indian thali. Am I a bit bored to be talking about sailing, and hotels and food? A little, but I am not surprised. Sometimes I wonder though if the life I lead excludes me from other parts of life, and if it is actually making me a difficult, if not occasionally boring person to spend time with, because, as I have realised a few times already, I do not enjoy frivolous talk, or enjoy talking at all unless if I really have something that I want to say and having to participate in such pointless conversations between people usually has me silent and rather openly bored after the first 10 minutes of mindless bantering.

So I don't seem to fit in with most youth, talking about clothes, facials, tanning, shopping, etc. But then adults aren't really much better. I must keep my eyes open, lest I become a dry, shrivelled, pretentious person completely incapable of speaking about anything that's not been quoted in 600-page book.

Tourist resorts are maybe just not my thing, and I will probably never enjoying shopping, not even in India. And I don't care for boats, or waxing, or shoes. But the beach is where I'm heading to next and in the awesomeness of hot, blue water, I am certain to find some peace of mind.

Pictures will come.

PS. I've decided to start spreading the rumour around that I am engaged to a woman in Sweden, then maybe I will be left alone. Thanks for the golden ring, mom.

2 kommentarer:

Elena sa...

My poor little girl! Welcome to my world ... You will feel lonely and out of the general smalltalk for the rest of your life. Except when you find other Sesame Street neighbors. Take care of them! They are invaluable. You are who you are and there is no turning back.

Love you more than words can say.

Have a nice christmas!

PS. I do not trust the Greek :(

Elena sa...

Vid närmare eftertanke, nej, du kan givetvist inte rädda världen, men du får leva det liv du väljer att leva. Det liv som känns meningsfullt för dig, oavsett vad andra tycker och tänker (så länge dina livsval inte skadar dig själv eller andra).