2008-11-10

Micro-UN

Being in an environment where there are around 25 languages going around is extremely good if you want to become a more patient person. I’m sitting in the kitchen in Terrakotten, trying to pretend I am a clever person by sitting in a very relaxed manner in the sofa, writing with my laptop on my lap. In fact I am very annoyed, though I know it is childish to be so. Two germans seem to be engaging in a very interesting conversation with each other, apparently oblivious to the fact that I am sitting right beside them. The fire in the fireplace crackles in the distance, followed by the all so familiar hissing from the kettle. I drum impatiently on the keyboard, suddenly very uplifted by the presence of a fourth person, breaking the heavy german of the place.

“Does anyone have a mac? I need the charger.” A pause. Then a low giggle. Most of the YIP’ies have nothing but Apple merchandise, thus it takes no more than a slight scuffling and exchanging of cords before our guest leaves the kitchen. I am offered tea, complaints of the lack of cups and teapots are uttered and the discussion reverts into german once more. I do like chai tea though. I do.

A third german joins us, exchanges a few german words, ruffles her red hair, giggles, laughs and runs off.

I await eagerly to see in which language the discussion shall continue. And I am not surprised to hear that it continues in german. But it’s okay. Even though I am an exceedingly nosy person I accept the fact that people must be allowed to speak their native languages. After all, I speak swedish nearly whenever I get the chance. And one must get used to it really. I only speak three languages, thus in a place where there are at least 22 languages that I don’t understand one must simply learn to accept that nosiness is never appreciated and that people always prefer their own country over others... I suppose.

Luckily a finnish joined, a dane and then a new zealander, and once more the discussion has become international!

Inga kommentarer: