2008-11-07

A few months later

So it's been some time now since the 22nd of August. I got me a laptop in the beginning of this week, thus I have just begun to taste the freedom of unlimited access to cyberspace.


Something rather spectacular happened this tuesday. I was writing on my laptop, but unfortunately I had no access to the internet at that time. Here follows a YIP account of the american elections.


It's 12:54. Of the twenty people that started the night only seven remain. All the americans (four) one german and two swedes. The american elections drag by and poor Henning and I are trying desperately to translate the important things out of the swedish programs. Chips, coffee and cigarettes try to keep us awake as we cross our fingers, furrow our brows and hold our breaths, cuddled up in blankets, checking the news continuously on the internet, hoping that the elections might be over soon, that the one we're rooting from might come out victorious.

The discussion switches between explanations of Obama and McCain's different policies, how much body mass Pamela Anderson has that is still real, and if whether or not Obama might have voted for himself at the polls.

The television flickers on.

Documentaries show the history of american elections. Black people, middle-class, senior citizens and couples arguing over their political differences. We strain to listen, tired from a day of listening, our brains already jam-packed with information. Nevertheless I think the feeling in my stomach is shared by everyone as we tiredly, though eagerly await the results from the next state. 

What will tomorrow bring us? We ponder.

I play with the thought of how I will bike into town, buy the newspaper and bring it back to my friends, cut out the biggest article I can find about the result of the elections and frame it, regardless of what the actual outcome might be.

Because in either case, it is a remarkably historical election.

I scratch my dreads.

I ran back to my house a moment ago to get supplies, tea and milk, and a small snack. People were still awake in the kitchen discussing something and upon my arrival I am immediately met with the question of why I am willing to stay up until five in the morning swedish time, to see who might become America's next super president, 2008.

"I'm so worried about another election scandal," Yarrow murmurs and puts a few pringles into his mouth.

"Oh, who brought milk?" Santje asks excitedly and smiles in my direction, suddenly having noticed the jug of biodynamic milk that I brought back fro the house. "May I have some?"

"I didn't bring it for myself," I answer her, not lifting my eyes from the screen.

"You just asked the vegan if you could have some of the milk." Silas adds and finishes the pringles.

A news report flickers onto the television and I strain to listen though I fear the attention span of my persistent friends is diminishing.


2:55

Our american organiser had a great idea. We took a laptop and started streaming a live feed of BBC's election night. Clever. Henning and I can have a rest.

Thoughts are becoming more inconsistent, discussions quieter.

Obama 103 - McCain 49

Too much tea is making feel a bit ill, but I struggle to keep my eyes open and my weary brain focused. Why am I doing this?

I became a news addict some time ago. I'd get Sweden's thickest newspaper every day, read it from page to page at breakfast, watch the news three times a day and have a news site as my starting page so that I could check the headlines every time I opened the internet.

News and world events are my thing. Social science was a favorite subject of mine in school and I do love keeping updated. Surely this moment is one of the most important in the Western world, and I for one, to feed my addiction, am keeping myself awake, listening to the familiar, british accent of the Brits on BBC.

Now Obama only neesd 51 more elector votes, and it's only 3:04 AM.

Good times.

I play with the thought of what would happen if McCain is elected as president. Goose-bumps travel down my spine. Surely, I think in vague confidence, surely the americans know better than that, than to choose another republican, one who's what, 79 years old? Not that I discriminate the elders, but I would say that a big problem with american politicians is that they have so far been heavily affected by a "Cold War Mentality". Us against Them. America as the facilitators and savors of the world. This mentality is followed by the Bush-doctrine. Attack is the best defense.

Change is a big word in the campaign, and for an obvious reason. Change is vital. The politicians of this big, influential country need to get with the time. The Cold War was a long time ago. We can't base the belief-system of a leading country upon war-mongering and non-solidarity ideals. We are all citizens of the world after all. There is now us and them. Only we.

Maybe I'm being my typical latin drama queen, but I do think that one candidate has a greater chance of achieving this than the other. I am fully aware of the fact that by this time next year I am bound to be complaining about the americans and whomever their president might be, but I suppose those are my US-conservative-negative belief-systems that I so far, see absolutely no reason to be rid of.

I hate being proved wrong. But this time I actually wish that I am wrong. Please, show me that you can change. Don't continue doing this, everybody makes mistakes, but the world is going trembling on the brink, and all the rulers of our nations must be in the loop together, working TOGETHER to make things nice and comfy for all of us. Humans, animals, plants and amoeba, unite!

Inga kommentarer: