2008-11-09

Honesty

Among these group of amazing people, I am immediately fascinated by the take on honesty that arises during our midday discussions. Our facilitators posed a question regarding honesty and being honest in relation to corporations. Immediately the discussion flares up regarding ideals and morals, strong individuals arguing about things that bring light to my heart because I love, love this definition, this relationship that we immediately see between honesty and ideals. Of course, maybe in itself it was not quite what our facilitators were looking for, but in any case it brought interesting thoughts to my mind, and a spirit of solidarity and understanding of exactly how high our ideals are among this little group we have here in Ytterjärna.


We have vegetarians, social workers, voluntary workers, people who carry the Weldschmerz upon their shoulders. We complain about too little organic vegetables at the shop, stay up all night just to make sure that the right president is elected in the US, make day trips to the local (though not quite so local) second-hand store to buy clothes as opposed to other shops that might actually closer to our small isolated, little society. We work for sometimes eleven hours a day, and then go to a lecture, then have a meeting, constantly keeping in mind these projects, these ideas, our ideals that must always, always grow and improve and be polished in the back of our heads.

I wonder, how many people like us exist in the world?


Why have things been going in such a downward spiral for so long if people like this actually exist in the world?

I know, know in my heart and in my soul that there are others out there who look at honesty and see high ideals and trust. Why is it so hard to get mobilized?

I know I am being negative, I am exaggerating to enhance the importance of my point. There are indeed initiatives that make a little more difference every day, but there must always be more. Do more. Perhaps the ideologies have died along with Trotskij and Allende. Perhaps they have been replaced by something else, something broader. This is the era of idealism.


We might lose everything in the world, our clothes our homes, our families, our money and all things material. But I sincerely hope that we may never lose our ideals. That there as inch within us that can never be taken from us. An inch. Of idealism. 


1 kommentar:

Elena sa...

Now you made mom very happy and proud!

Don't forget Nietzsche:
"He (or she) who has a strong enough why can bear almost any how."

/Elena